[llvm-dev] Encoding/formating problems in migrated GitHub issues

Oliver Stöneberg via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Sun Nov 28 13:49:05 PST 2021

> First of all, our bugzilla contains 17k+ open issues. We will
> certainly make them writeable after the conversion.

But the posts might only be writable fro the actual poster and not
the ones replaying/working on them.

Somethind I forgot to consider is that the original issues are still
linked so you can go back to them for the actual code. Jumping being
between bugzilla and GitHub to follow the correct code snippets will
be annoying though.

If the tickets are editable though they could be changed to use code
blocks were appropriate.

> This is expected, yes, as GitHub is all markdown and there is no way
> one could disable the markup. Copying everything into a code block is
> not an option as well, as it does not scroll and word-wrap properly,
> etc.

Using a code block would certainly be the wrong approach.

Some of the code changes seemed awfully messy though so I think I
bring it up. Although the sneaky ones where the code might not look
like it was changed at all but things are actually omitted (like the
underscores in the macro in that one example) could cause some
issues.

Something else I just noticed is that the subscriptions for all my
reported issues are not enabled in GitHub. So I would have to enable
all of these manually to receive any updates. Seems to be the same
for ones where I just added myself to CC.