[llvm-dev] Question about LLVM backend

Craig Topper via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Nov 24 10:55:08 PST 2021

Hi Gaspard,

I think it is possible. There is a "UseIntegratedAssembler" variable in
llvm/include/llvm/MC/MCAsmInfo.h Several targets set it to false in the
constructors for their MCAsmInfo subclasses.

clang has a command line option -fno-integrated-as that can disable the use
of the integrated assembler.

There are at least 2 virtual functions in
clang/include/clang/Driver/ToolChain.h related to whether clang needs to
invoke a separate assembler by default.

  /// IsIntegratedAssemblerDefault - Does this tool chain enable
-integrated-as
  /// by default.
  virtual bool IsIntegratedAssemblerDefault() const { return false; }

  /// Check if the toolchain should use the integrated assembler.
  virtual bool useIntegratedAs() const;

I hope that helps or at least gives you some places to start looking.

~Craig