[llvm-dev] objcopy --prefix-symbols and undefined symbols

James Henderson via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Nov 15 00:39:41 PST 2021

Hi Keith,

llvm-objcopy's ELF behaviour is closely modelled on GNU objcopy's
behaviour, with the intent that it is a drop-in replacement for that tool.
There are a limited number of exceptions to this, but --prefix-symbols is
not one of them. When using GNU objcopy v2.30, I get the following
behaviour:

$ cat test.cpp
void foo();
int main(){
   foo();
}
$ gcc -c test.cpp
$ nm test.o
                 U _GLOBAL_OFFSET_TABLE_
0000000000000000 T main
                 U _Z3foov
$ objcopy test.o test.prefix.o --prefix-symbols=bar
$ nm test.prefix.o
                 U bar_GLOBAL_OFFSET_TABLE_
0000000000000000 T barmain
                 U bar_Z3foov

I agree with you that I don't know under what situations this behaviour can
be useful, apart from some pretty niche cases. Perhaps worth raising on the
GNU mailing list?

James