[llvm-dev] [RFC] Removing optimization size level from LLVM and relying on minsize/optsize

David Blaikie via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Nov 12 18:40:33 PST 2021

(sorry, haven't read all the replies)

I think there was a fair bit of discussion on this when the optnone and
minsize attributes were added way-back-when - Chandler at least expressed a
pretty firm opinion that these more "fundamental" requests that are
currently attributes were distinct from -O1/2/3 - like noinline, there's
some specific property we want from the code with those attributes that's
hardest to describe with O1/2/3 which are a vague sliding scale of
size/perf tradeoffs.

But for things we already have attributes for - yeah, naively (ie: take my
opinion with lots of salt) it seems reasonable to have them be the only way
to convey that information. (wonder if/how bad it'd be to do that with
-O0/optnone... maybe not much value in it? Not sure - could make LTO and
non-LTO more similar maybe - would exercise the "is optnone respected even
in a single file" more frequently)