[llvm-dev] Update on Bugzilla migration

Philip Reames via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Nov 12 11:45:11 PST 2021

On 11/12/21 11:36 AM, Mehdi AMINI wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 12, 2021 at 11:15 AM Philip Reames via llvm-dev
>
>     I've raised this point once before, but I think it's time to raise
>     it again.
>
>     I believe we should drop the goal of keeping bug numbers in sync
>     between
>     github and the legacy llvm bug database.  We do need a one-to-one
>     mapping, but the numbers can be distinct.  This requires a bit of
>     extra  ugliness in terms of needing to add a comment to every bug
>     (both copies)
>     with a link to the other, but this is a minimal badness, and stops
>     mattering fairly quickly after the transition
>

> It is even better than this: if we can generate a map of old IDs to
> new IDs when doing the conversion, it really isn't difficult to keep
> the existing URL working (redirecting to the right migrated GitHub issue).
>
> I may be missing something about other advantages of mapping 1-1?
>

>     Continuing to hold back the transition of new bugs to github is
>     causing
>     real immediate harm.  I strongly believe we are better off moving now
>     with an imperfect system than waiting any longer.
>

> Is the ID mapping really the only issue keeping us back though?
It seems to be a major one.  If nothing else, without it we could
migrate a subset of bugs which happen to migrate cleanly, and then come
back and handle the ones with issues at a arbitrarily later point.  Or
we could simply close creation of *new* bugzilla bugs, and start all new
traffic on github without waiting for a migration at all.  The whole
reason we're not doing that (seems to be) is that we want to preserve
the low bug numbers for 1-to-1 correspondence purposes.