[llvm-dev] status of CodeGen in new Pass Manager

Mingming Liu via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Nov 12 10:55:51 PST 2021

Thanks Mircea! Yeah I get it that target dependent code is generated in the
backend (llc)

(I should have highlighted this in the original post)

The CodeGenPrepare pass works in the legacy PM, but is not a part of the
new PM. From this line
<https://github.com/llvm/llvm-project/blob/main/llvm/tools/opt/opt.cpp#L491>
(and
the surrounding function) this is intended.

On Fri, Nov 12, 2021 at 10:51 AM Mircea Trofin <mtrofin at google.com> wrote:

> Unless I'm missing something, llc runs codegen, opt runs the optimization
> passes up to machine lowering. In other words - try llc instead of opt
>
> On Fri, Nov 12, 2021 at 10:27 AM Mingming Liu via llvm-dev <
> llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>    This is a newbie question around CodeGen related passes and the
>> current status in new Pass Manager.
>>
>>    From
>> https://llvm.org/docs/NewPassManager.html#status-of-the-new-and-legacy-pass-managers,
>> there are ongoing efforts to make the codegen pipeline work in the new Pass
>> Manager (which is great!). Searching in the bug list (
>> https://bugs.llvm.org/buglist.cgi?component=opt&list_id=226453&product=tools&query_format=advanced&resolution=---&short_desc=codegen&short_desc_type=allwordssubstr)
>> gives no result.
>>
>>    I'm wondering if anyone has more information on the current status of
>> CodeGen in the new Pass Manager (a tracking bug or other pointers)?
>>
>>    The context is that, I'm using opt CLI (by default new PM is used),
>> and surprised that codegenprepare pass doesn't run, so dig down and having
>> more questions :-)
>>
>>    Any related information will be appreciated!
>>
>> --
>> Thanks,
>> Mingming

Thanks,