[llvm-dev] Should we have a "GPU working group"?

Johannes Doerfert via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Nov 10 12:56:15 PST 2021

Hey,

We nowadays have various "working groups" that meet regularly to discuss
technical topics (incl. RISC-V, MLIR, OpenMP, Alias Analysis, ML, Flang,
...).
It's a reasonably nice way for people to connect and present ideas, get
feedback, etc. in an interactive environment.
While the OpenMP meeting has a strong emphasis on offloading, we do not
meet to discuss "generic GPU" topics as a community.

This email is to determine if people would be interested in meeting once
every N weeks (initially we could say 2) to coordinate efforts in this
space, e.g., development of GPU-specific optimizations, organization of
driver and backend code, dealing with issues like convergent functions, ...

I CC'ed a bunch of people that might want to join such a meeting but
certainly this is something everyone would be invited to and I hope
people forward this to parties that might not read llvm-dev.

Looking forward to hear what people think :)

~ Johannes

--
∽ Johannes (he/his)