[llvm-dev] Understanding and controlling some of the AVX shuffle emission paths

Simon Pilgrim via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Nov 9 12:44:43 PST 2021

On 09/11/2021 08:57, Nicolas Vasilache via llvm-dev wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I am experimenting with LLVM lowering, intrinsics and shufflevector in
> general.
>
> Here is an IR that I produce with the objective of emitting some
> vblendps instructions:
> https://gist.github.com/nicolasvasilache/0fe30c83cbfe5b4776ec9f0ee465611a.

 From what I can see, the original IR code was (effectively):

8 x UNPCKLPS/UNPCKHPS
4 x SHUFPS
8 x BLENDPS
4 x INSERTF128
4 x PERM2F128

> I compile this further with
>
> clang -x ir -emit-llvm -S -mcpu=haswell -O3 -o - | llc -O3
> -mcpu=haswell - -o -
>
> to obtain:
>
> https://gist.github.com/nicolasvasilache/2c773b86fcda01cc28711828a0a9ce0a

and after the x86 shuffle combines:

8 x UNPCKLPS/UNPCKHPS
8 x UNPCKLPD/UNPCKHPD
4 x INSERTF128
4 x PERM2F128

Starting from each BLENDPS, they've combined with the SHUFPS to create
the UNPCK*PD nodes. We nearly always benefit from folding shuffle chains
to reduce total instruction counts, even if some inner nodes have
multiple uses (like the SHUFPS), and I'd hate to lose that.

> At this point, I would expect to see some vblendps instructions
> generated for the pieces of IR that produce %48/%49 %51/%52 %54/%55
> and %57/%58 to reduce pressure on port 5 (vblendps can also go on
> ports 0 and 1). However the expected instruction does not get
> generated and llvm-mca continues to show me high port 5 contention.
>
> Could people suggest some steps / commands to help better understand
> why my expectation is not met and whether I can do something to make
> the compiler generate what I want? Thanks in advance!
So on Haswell, we've gained 4 extra Port5-only shuffles but removed the
8 Port015 blends.

We have very little arch-specific shuffle combines, just the
fast-variable-shuffle tuning flags to avoid unnecessary shuffle mask
loads, the shuffle combines just aims for the reduction in simple target
shuffle nodes. And tbh I'm reluctant to add to this as shuffle combining
is complex already.

We should be preferring to lower/combine to BLENDPS in more
circumstances (its commutable and never slower than any other target
shuffle, although demanded elts can do less with 'undef' elements), but
that won't help us here.

So far I've failed to find a BLEND-based 8x8 transpose pattern that the
shuffle combiner doesn't manage to combine back to the 8xUNPCK/SHUFPS ops :(