[llvm-dev] Accidental Remote Branches Created on Github

Anton Korobeynikov via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Sat Nov 6 11:46:46 PDT 2021

Unfortunately, GitHub does not allow this kind of "protection". Only
existing branches can be protected from pushes.
We already had such issues in the past when the outdated "master"
branch was pushed into the repo after the "master => main" transition.
We reported the issue to GitHub ~year ago, but this might be included
into their roadmap for 2023 or so.

We've been told that the "workaround" is an action that removes all
non-known branches, however, I'm a little bit hesitant on having such
kind of powerful automation, that could remove something from the
repo.

On Sat, Nov 6, 2021 at 3:56 AM Mara Sophie Grosch via llvm-dev
<llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:

> This happening was actually a big fear for me when I got commit access, especially since I'm working on a fork for my hobby osdev project, not at all ready for upstreaming it - one wrong git push away
>
> Seeing this happening to other people is a bit of a relief
>
> Is it possible to configure GitHub to forbid that? Like everything except the normal branches being protected from pushes?
>
> Mara
>
> Am 6. November 2021 00:48:49 UTC schrieb Luke Benes via llvm-dev <llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org>:
> >A branch containing the D112590 patch was accidentally pushed to GitHub: https://github.com/llvm/llvm-project/tree/efb284c07e
> >
> >In the past couple of weeks, this also happened for
> >https://reviews.llvm.org/D107347
> >and
> >https://reviews.llvm.org/D108319
> >
> >This seems to be happening a lot recently. Is there a problem with the instructions to commit patches?

With best regards, Anton Korobeynikov
Department of Statistical Modelling, Saint Petersburg State University