[llvm-dev] RFC: IR metadata format for MemProf

Teresa Johnson via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Nov 1 12:05:46 PDT 2021

One change below along with another clarification. Also, you can view the
original RFC here with better formatting for the examples:
https://groups.google.com/g/llvm-dev/c/aWHsdMxKAfE/m/WtEmRqyhAgAJ

On Wed, Oct 27, 2021 at 1:01 PM Teresa Johnson <tejohnson at google.com> wrote:

> [...]
>
>   3 }
>
>   4
>
>   5 foo() {
>
>   6    baz();  // stack entry id: 234
>
>   7 }
>
>   8
>
>   9 baz() {
>
>  10    if (x)
>
>  11       bar();  // stack entry id: 345
>
>  12    else
>
>  13       bar();  // stack entry id: 456
>
>  14 }
>
>  15
>
>  16 bar() {
>
>  17    malloc(4);  // stack entry id: 567
>
>  18 }
>
> The call to malloc has 2 possible calling contexts:
>
>    1.
>
>    main -> foo (x.cc:2) -> baz (x.cc:6) -> bar (x.cc:11) -> malloc
>    (x.cc:17)
>    2.
>
>    main -> foo (x.cc:2) -> baz (x.cc:6) -> bar (x.cc:13) -> malloc
>    (x.cc:17)
>
> where the stack entry id for each callsite, taken from the profile’s stack
> entry table contents, is shown in the code comments. The corresponding full
> contexts in terms of stack entry ids, listed from the leaf allocation
> callsite up to the root are:
>
>    1.
>
>    567, 345, 234, 123
>    2.
>
>    567, 456, 234, 123
>

> Assuming both contexts execute at runtime, the allocation will end up with
> 2 MIBs in the profile, one for each of the above contexts.
>
> To represent this in the IR, we propose 2 new metadata attachment types,
> as described below.
> Callsite metadata
>
> The !callsite metadata is used to associate a callsite with its
> corresponding references in MIB stack contexts. It contains the associated
> 64-bit stack entry table value for that callsite from the indexed profile,
> and is initially only on non-allocation callsites. As will be described
> later, after inlining it can contain multiple entry ids or be propagated
> onto allocation callsites.
>
> In the above example, for the call to foo(), which had stack entry id 123,
> the IR callsite would be decorated with a !callsite metadata containing
> that stack entry id:
>
>   tail call void @_Z3foov(), !dbg !12, !callsite !14
>
> !14 = !{i64 123}
>
> Note that this call may be in a different module initially than the
> referencing MIB metadata. In order to disambiguate the context across
> modules, some form of LTO would be required. ThinLTO summary support will
> be added to reflect the cross-module contexts and enable cross module
> optimization of the contexts.
>
> Also, while for MemProf the ids will be assigned uniquely using
> information from the MemProf profile, other types of context sensitive
> profiles could simply reuse the same id after matching with line table
> information, or at least leverage the same metadata attachment to assign
> their own unique ids if there is no MemProf profile.

To clarify, the callsite metadata value can be any globally unique
identifier. While in this proposal we simply describe using the indexed
profile's associated 64-bit stack entry table value, an alternative could
be to compute this from the MD5 hash of the debug information
(file:line:discriminator). It doesn't affect the format and its usage
described in this RFC.

> Memprof metadata
>
> The !memprof metadata describes the MIBs for the leaf allocation callsite
> it is attached to. If there are multiple stack contexts leading to that
> allocation, it will have a single !memprof metadata attachment, with a
> level of indirection used to list all related MIB, as shown in the later
> example.
>
> As with the indexed profile format, we need to be able to add or modify
> fields of the MIB entries while maintaining backwards compatibility with
> older bitcode. Therefore, we use a schema format with the MIB profile entry
> fields described by a “Memprof Schema” module level metadata, for example:
>
> !llvm.module.flags = !{!1}
>
> !1 = !{i32 1, !”Memprof Schema”,!”Stack”, !”AllocCount”, !”AveSize”,
> !”MinSize”, !”MaxSize”, !”AveAccessCount”, !”MinAccessCount”,
> !”MaxAccessCount”, !”AveLifetime”, !”MinLifetime”, !”MaxLifetime”,
> !”NumMigration”, !”NumLifetimeOverlaps” }
>
> The first (merge behavior) field is 1 (ModFlagBehavior::Error), meaning
> that it is an error to merge modules with different values, or in other
> words, merging modules compiled with different profiles generated with
> different versions of the indexed profile format.

Using module flags for the schema doesn't work, because it only supports a
single string tag and an integer flag value, not arbitrary contents.
Instead, I have implemented this using a new named metadata:

!memprof.schema = !{!0}
!0 = !{!"Stack", !"AllocCount", !"AveSize", !"MinSize", !"MaxSize",
!"AveAccessCount", !"MinAccessCount", !"MaxAccessCount", !"AveLifetime",
!"MinLifetime", !"MaxLifetime", !"NumMigration", !"NumLifetimeOverlaps"}

Named metadata must only hold metadata nodes as operands. Here we use a
single operand to point to metadata that describes the schema.

The advantage of using a single metadata operand in the new !memprof.schema
metadata, vs for example a list of metadata operands each pointing to a
single MDString schema field, is that it simplifies detection of different
schemas when modules are merged for LTO. If the schemas are identical, the
merged !memprof.schema metadata will continue to hold a single metadata
node as the node holding the schema (!0 above) will be shared. If they are
not identical, the merged module's !memprof.schema metadata will hold more
than one metadata operand, one for each unique schema.

An alternative, which is what I originally had in a prototype, was to
include the MDString field tags in each !memprof metadata, for example:

!274 = !{!"Stack", !273, !"AllocCount", i32 1, !"AveSize", i32 4,
!"MinSize", i32 4, !"MaxSize", i32 4, !"AveAccessCount", i64 5,
!"MinAccessCount", i64 1, !"MaxAccessCount", i64 10, !"AveLifetime", i32
10, !"MinLifetime", i32 10, !"MaxLifetime", i32 10, !"NumMigration", i32 0,
!"NumLifetimeOverlaps", i32 0}

This provides maximal flexibility of merging modules using different
schemas, at the expense of additional overhead in operands (doubling the
number of operands of !memprof metadata). But if we need to support merging
modules with different schemas, we could alternatively just support
unifying the named metadata schemas and fixing up the associated !memprof
metadata during the merging process, rather than carrying this extra
overhead.

--
Teresa Johnson |  Software Engineer |  tejohnson at google.com |