[llvm-dev] [loops in LLVM][CFG] Various methods to know weather 2 loops are identical in a given CFG.

sameeran joshi via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon May 24 20:38:23 PDT 2021

Thank you for the clarification with an example.

Here's what I meant by identical, there are 2 forms I could think of
*Strongly identical* -
 1. Exact match of loop headers and loop bodys between 2 loops.
 e.g Loop mentioned below
 for (int i = 0; i < 10; ++i) { A[i] = i; }
 is not identical to any options mentioned, Whereas a matching candidate
which is strongly identical could be an exact loop with flexibility to
change the iteration variable name.
 for (int j = 0; j < 10; ++j) { A[j] = j; }
 or
 for (int i = 0; i < 10; ++i) { A[i] = i; }

*Weakly identical* -
Loops are matched based on only header and the body is skipped for check.
e.g A,B are identical from the above mentioned question.

Given that it becomes difficult to have strongly identical loops, reverting
back to weakly identical loops might help to identify if the compiler does
make changes to the other loops whereas it misses doing so in the first
loop.
e.g
*Sample loop*
  for (int i = 0; i < 10; ++i) {
    X = 100;
    A[i] = i;
  }
  and
  for (int i = 0; i < 10; ++i) {
    A[i] = i;
    X = 100;
  }
>From the definition of strongly identical they are not equal (as their
headers match, whereas bodies don't).
But having a strongly identical definition makes it harder to identify if
in some cases the instructions in the loop's body are moved and optimized.
e.g. When X is pulled out, it becomes weakly identical to *sample loop*.
  X = 100;
  for (int i = 0; i < 10; ++i) {
    A[i] = i;
  }

This loop though not identical as per strongly identical definition but it
is identical when compared using weakly identical definition( as the header
are same), this usage of weakly identical helps to figure out if some loops
are getting optimized whereas others aren't.
On top of that, if 2 loops seem weakly identical, we can do more metric
checks like count the number of instructions in them to know if there is
some missing/different approach followed for the other loop.

~/Sameeran