[llvm-dev] How to use a custom InlineAdvisor with the new pass manager

David Blaikie via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu May 20 11:01:54 PDT 2021

Ah, is this more a NPM/LPM inliner design issue more broadly then - looks
like the NPM inliner didn't have a virtual "getInlineCost" even prior to
the inline advisor work, yeah? It has InlineParams, which then has
"getInlineCost", but it's not virtual, etc.

But, yes, adding this functionality (for 3rd party code to reuse the
inliner with custom heuristics) does seem reasonable, and the inline
advisor seems like a reasonable abstraction to use - hopefully there's an
easy/reasonable enough way to add a custom InlineAdvisor (maybe that's more
abstractions than needed? Not sure).

Yeah, sounds like Mircea's latest reply where you could provide a callback
to build the InlineAdvisor (I assume that's what Mircea meant, rather than
"InlineAnalysis") - if the advisor can't be built ahead of time (looks like
it needs the specific module, etc) and handed to the InlineAdvisorAnalysis,
then a functor to defer the creation until the parameters are available
makes sense to me.

- Dave