[llvm-dev] [RFC] Introducing the opaque pointer type

David Blaikie via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue May 11 00:20:38 PDT 2021

On Mon, May 10, 2021 at 11:59 PM pawel k. via llvm-dev <
llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:

> I am very much beginner in opaque pointers but I am also minimalist too in
> a sense entities shouldnt be multiplied but rather divided where applicable.
>
> Can someone point me to article(s) describing what problems opaque
> pointers solve that cant be solved with forward declaractions and typed
> pointers etc?
>
> My first gutfeeling was when learning on idea of opaque pointers, theyre
> not much more than void*

Yep, that's basically what they are. Though this is only relative to the IR
design, not source language design.

> with all its issues from static analysis, compiler design, code
> readability, code quality, code security perspective. Can someone correct a
> newbie? Very open to change my mind.

LLVM doesn't provide any guarantees about pointer types (unlike, say, C++
that has type based aliasing guarantees about pointers - if you have an
int* you know it can't hold the same value as a float* in C++, but this
property isn't true in LLVM IR (this information can be carried separately
in type based alias analysis metadata - but it's not inherent in the LLVM
IR of pointers themselves)) - so the type information provides limited
value (somewhat useful for frontends generating IR to be able to have some
intended type information carried around in the IR as it's being
constructed) and inhibits optimizations - converting between pointer types
involves instructions (geps or bitcasts) - instructions that optimizations
have to know to skip over/look through.

So instead, we're moving to a model where pointers don't have a type (since
it's not informative to optimizations anyway) - and operations carry type
information (instead of "load from this int pointer" it'll be "load an
integer from this opaque pointer").

If you look at the LLVM IR today, you'll see these explicit types on
operations (eg: the load instruction has an explicit type parameter to it,
which currently looks redundant with the type of the pointer parameter
that's passed to the load instruction - but in the future that pointer
parameter won't carry any pointee type information and the load will rely
entirely on the explicit type parameter it has).

- Dave