[llvm-dev] git strategy for handling the llvm-project repo together with ours

Geoffrey Martin-Noble via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri May 7 10:55:20 PDT 2021

To avoid the issue of constantly having to rewrite history, you could merge
from your main branch instead of rebasing. If I was contributing to a
project and I constantly had to drop my local history, I'd probably be a
bit grumpy. You lose the benefit of your entire stream of patches being
based on HEAD, but I'm guessing that eventual upstreaming wouldn't be
merging things in the historical order of patches anyway? (but maybe I'm
wrong, I've never upstreamed a target). Merge commits get a bad rap, but I
think they're actually quite a useful tool in git when used judiciously,
and if you know about `git log --first-parent` most of people's complaints
about them are handled.