[llvm-dev] [RFC] Introducing the opaque pointer type

David Chisnall via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri May 7 08:40:24 PDT 2021

On 04/05/2021 19:32, Tom Stellard via llvm-dev wrote:
> I think requiring an address space would be too confusing for a majority
> of use
> cases.  Would it help if instead of defaulting to 0, the default address
> space
> was target dependent?

For CHERI targets, the default address space is ABI dependent: AS0 is a
64-bit integer that's relative to the default data capability, AS200 is
a 128-bit capability (on 64-bit platforms).  It can also differ between
code, heap, and stack.

If this is purely a syntactic thing in the text serialisation, would it
be possible to put something in the DataLayout that is ignored by
everything except the pretty-printer / parser?

David