[llvm-dev] git strategy for handling the llvm-project repo together with ours

Kai Plociennik via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri May 7 04:28:23 PDT 2021

Dear all,

we are integrating support in Clang + LLVM for a target architecture (an
accelerator device) we are developing. Currently, we have a git
repository, which contains LLVM 9 together with the added/changed files
from us.

Now, we want to have a sustainable strategy for handling the
llvm-project repository together with our changes. To summarize, we want
to migrate to LLVM 12, start with 12.0.0, add our target architecture
support based on this version, continue development of our target, and
from time to time get the latest changes from the official llvm-project
repo so we keep up to date over time.

Hence, we somehow have to "merge" the llvm-project and our repository,
and keep history of both. As far as I know, there are several ways we
could do this, e.g. using submodules or subtree merge.

In the future, if support for our target architecture is mature, and the
hardware is publicly available, for us it would be interesting to have
our target support in the official llvm-project repository, in which
case our additions potentially would have to go into the official repo.

My question is: Is there an intended way of how we should handle this
with git?

Any hints would be greatly appreciated.

Best regards,

Kai Plociennik

--
Dr. Kai Plociennik
Fraunhofer-Institut für Techno- und Wirtschaftsmathematik ITWM
mail: kai.plociennik at itwm.fraunhofer.de
www.itwm.fraunhofer.de