[llvm-dev] Legacy PM deprecation for optimization pipeline timeline

Mats Larsen via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue May 4 10:41:15 PDT 2021

> No, it's more of an implementation detail that users don't need to worry
about.
I see, I think we'll omit that parameter from the AfterPassFunc and
AfterPassInvalidatedFunc callbacks then.

> I'm not following. Isn't it like all the other things you're passing into
the PassBuilder?
Apologies, that was pretty terribly worded. The
PassInstrumentationCallbacks holds all of these "  using BeforePassFunc =
bool(StringRef, Any);" function types, where the llvm::Any is the IR unit
the pass ran over. It could be a llvm::Module, llvm::Function etc...
Wouldn't this be "problematic" for the C interface as we wouldn't be able
to tell what kind of IR unit it was?

> Separating it out into a different file from PassBuilder.cpp seems
cleanest to me. Maybe right along side it in the same directory? We can
always move it around later if we find somewhere better.
That sounds good to me. /llvm/lib/Passes/PassBuilderBindings.cpp maybe?

We should probably do something like heap allocate a PTO/PGOOptions and
provide an opaque pointer to it, and set those options, then pass it to the
final build/run function. Sort of like LLVMPassManagerRef, but the legacy
pass builder stored its options inside the pass builder itself, whereas the
new pass builder has a separate PTO. Then the equivalent of something like
LLVMPassManagerBuilderSetDisableUnrollLoops() would just modify the PTO.
> Yeah I think that's a nice approach. I believe that's what the MCJIT
bindings do with the LLVMMCJITCompilerOptions struct.

> The legacy PM API separates building the PM and running it on some IR.
I'm not sure if we necessarily want to do that when we can build it and run
it all at once. But maybe I'm missing a use case.
I also thought about that... I think either approach works, and we can
always add an API that separates it out or vice versa further down the road
if need be.

Let me know what you think. I'll start working on the API and submit a
patch for review soon.

Mats