[llvm-dev] Experimenting with writing a LLVM backend.

Viorel Preoteasa via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon May 3 11:48:45 PDT 2021

Hello,

I have started reading the tutorial about writing a LLVM backend, but I
got stuck very quickly following it.
The tutorial says that it focuses on existing examples from
llvm/lib/Target, in the LLVM release. As far as
I can see, the current release versions of LLVM do not contain these
examples.

I did find the examples in the source distribution of LLVM, and
currently I am building the source, however
my question is the following:

Is it possible to develop a LLVM backend using for example the LLVM
distribution available by default
on Ubuntu (20.04), or possibly the binary distribution for Windows?

Best regards,

Viorel Preoteasa