[llvm-dev] llvm bug 11944

David Chisnall via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Sun May 2 04:49:27 PDT 2021

On 27 Apr 2021, at 20:00, David Blaikie via llvm-dev <llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 27, 2021 at 11:55 AM pawel k. <pawel.kunio at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>> As on adopting their ms extensions here, id guess as much as i hate them, theyre in the right here and nux world isat fault.
>
> That's probably a fairly uphill battle to get something like SAL
> adopted outside of MSVC. Maybe the folks working on Windows
> compatibility in Clang might have some interest/thoughts on the
> relative merits, though.

We are using SAL annotations in the FreeBSD system call master definitions.  They’re currently parsed by some evil sed scripts.  I’d love to have them properly supported by compiler tooling so that we could replace this with a libclang-based tool.

The implementation in the Visual Studio compiler involves a header that is very tightly coupled to some compiler internals and so it’s not very easy to make portable.  A clang version would probably have to reimplement the header as well.

David