[llvm-dev] Help with patch D101639

Geoffrey Martin-Noble via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Sat May 1 16:46:08 PDT 2021

On the more general point of unrelated pre-merge failures. I've hit these a
few times and also find them frustrating. Especially as a new contributor,
it's really hard to know which checks are "ok to ignore". I find this even
with things that are more like lint than full builds (e.g. clang-tidy).
Having pre-merge checks is super valuable of course, but I think generally
they should be less strict than post-submit.

I'm not super familiar with the infra for these in particular, but I'm a
bit surprised that this is a problem. Usually when setting up bots for my
project I turn them on for post-submit before turning them on for
pre-submit. Is there a reason that the infrastructure can't be shared here
such that presubmit and postsubmit are basically just switches on the exact
same build configuration? I gather that the phab integration adds a fair
amount of complexity there. Would be a point in favor of using GitHub PRs I
guess (although the review ux is definitely nicer on phab IMO)