[llvm-dev] Why the binary size in trunk are smaller significantly?

David Blaikie via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Mar 30 19:28:32 PDT 2021

On Tue, Mar 30, 2021 at 7:16 PM chuanqi.xcq <yedeng.yd at linux.alibaba.com>
wrote:

> Hi Jeremy and David,
>
>      The most significant reduction comes from the section `.debug_loc`
> and `.debug_info` section.
>      The size of `.debug_info` reduced about 14% and the size of of
> `.debug_loc` reduced to even 69%!

Surprises me a bit, but yeah, that could be debug info related, or
unrelated - optimizations might make fewer variable locations because we've
lost track of more variables so there are no locations - or locations might
be better tracked so they're more contiguously described (so less small
slices of variable locations - each slice having some overhead in its
description)... but hard to say. llvm-dwarfdump --statistics might be
insightful as to whether it's improvement in locations or not. But I'd make
an educated guess that this probably isn't reflective of any bugs and is
just roughly expected change from optimization changes and maybe debug info
location improvements.

But I could be wrong - it is a pretty big swing, for sure.

- Dave