[llvm-dev] [RFC] Adding range metadata to array subscripts.

Florian Hahn via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Sat Mar 27 11:30:57 PDT 2021

> On Mar 24, 2021, at 19:32, Johannes Doerfert <johannesdoerfert at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> On 3/24/21 12:47 PM, Florian Hahn wrote:

>>> We need to get rid of that assertion. There are other non-attributes
>>> to be used in assume operand bundles in the (near) future, so the this
>>> work has to be done anyway.
>>
>> +1 on trying to use assume, rather than adding another way.
>>
>> But are value ranges special for assumes, so that we need to handle them in a bundle? Is that just so we can easier skip ‘artificial’ assume users?
>
> It would make users explicit and we will have non-attribute bundles anyway.
> I find it also "conceptually nicer", would you prefer explicit instructions?

One disadvantage of using a bundle (or !range metadata) is that we treat ranges for certain values in a special way and differently to how we treat range information expressed by the user e.g. via conditions (or builtin assume). This means we have to handle multiple variants across the codebase, which can lead to situations where only one or the other is handled, which in turn can lead to surprising results (of the form: why does a transformation apply if information provided in a certain way, but does not apply of the equivalent info is provided in a different way).
Using instruction potentially also allows us to specify more complex ranges, in relation to other values.

But I realize that there are some practical consideration that make the instruction approach less appealing and I am all in favor of the more pragmatic & practical solution to start with.

Cheers,
Florian