[llvm-dev] SDAG: Type legalization woes (context insensitivity)

Krzysztof Parzyszek via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Mar 26 11:18:22 PDT 2021

I was able to come up with a different testcase that shows the same issue (where lack of context causes trouble):

define <32 x i32> @fred(<32 x i32> %a0, <32 x i32> %a1) #0 {
b0:
  %v0 = bitcast <32 x i32> %a0 to <32 x float>
  %v1 = bitcast <32 x i32> %a1 to <32 x float>
  %v2 = fcmp ogt <32 x float> %v0, %v1
  %v3 = select <32 x i1> %v2, <32 x float> zeroinitializer, <32 x float> %v0
  %v4 = bitcast <32 x float> %v3 to <32 x i32>
  ret <32 x i32> %v4
}

attributes #0 = { nounwind "target-cpu"="hexagonv66" "target-features"="+hvxv66,+hvx-length128b" }

You can run this with “llc -march=hexagon < testcase.ll” and see it get stuck.

Float vectors are illegal, and they need to be scalarized.  Integer vectors are legal, moreover we legalize short vectors by widening them to full vectors.  Boolean vectors (i.e. vNi1) are also widened accordingly if necessary, and herein lies the problem:

First, this happens:

Legalizing node: t8: v32i1 = setcc t5, t6, setogt:ch
Analyzing result type: v32i1
Legal result type
Analyzing operand: t5: v32f32 = bitcast t2
Split node operand: t8: v32i1 = setcc t5, t6, setogt:ch

But then (v16i1 is not legal)

Legalizing node: t449: v16i1 = setcc t26, t447, setogt:ch
Analyzing result type: v16i1
Widen node result 0: t449: v16i1 = setcc t26, t447, setogt:ch

End we end up in an infinite loop, where we decide to widen the result of the short setcc, then to split the operands of the widened one, and so on…

If, at the time of checking the v16i1, we knew that it came from a setcc that needs to be scalarized, we would not tell the legalizer to widen.  But we don’t know where the v16i1 came from, so we assume it came from an integer operation and we decide to widen based only on the type itself.  If we decided to scalarize v16i1, we may end up with the reverse problem, where the integer operands need to be widened, but the result wants to be scalarized…  We could decide to scalarize everything that is not legal, but that would defeat the purpose of widening altogether (and would be bad for performance).

--
Krzysztof Parzyszek  kparzysz at quicinc.com<mailto:kparzysz at quicinc.com>   AI tools development