[llvm-dev] Documenting community norms around reverts

Philip Reames via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Mar 26 10:15:19 PDT 2021

On 3/25/21 4:10 PM, Joerg Sonnenberger via llvm-dev wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 24, 2021 at 03:52:51PM -0700, Philip Reames via llvm-dev wrote:
>> I tried to stick to stuff that is uncontroversial in the community. If you
>> see something here that less than 90+% of the community would agree with,
>> please point it out. I'll remove it for now, and possibly return to
>> individual points if warranted in future reviews.
> I'd like to see some wording to make sure flagging by buildbot is
> actually somewhat logically related to that commit. We've had enough
> issues with both flacky bots and the general 20 pages blame list that I
> believe it is worth mentioning.

The current wording is: "If you break a buildbot in a way which can't be
quickly fixed, please revert."

This to me seems to include the notion that you should only act on a
build bot you break.  (i.e. not some random email)  I've also added a
general carve out about guidelines not being hard and fast rules in the
expectation section.

I would prefer to not go into build bots further in this patch. Build
bots are described elsewhere in the docs, and the flaky bit deserves
attention as it's own primary topic.  I'd prefer to avoid commingling.

Once we have a section on flaky build bots, linking the word "break"
above to that section seems like a good idea.

That okay with you?