[llvm-dev] Introducing debugger tuning for dbx

Zheng CZ Chen via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Mar 26 06:16:39 PDT 2021

Hi,

As some of you may know [1],we are working on AIX support. Part of the AIX
support is debug support, supporting dbx as the consumer of clang DWARF
information [2].

While the dbx team is also working on improving its dwarf support, there
are limitations in foreseeable future. Also there are situations on AIX
that end user may not get up to date debugger.

So we are considering doing some compatibly work in clang/llvm to help
improving user experience.

There are some limitations in dbx we know so far:

   .dwstr section is not supported for now;
   column-info in the line table not supported for now;
   sub-optimal handling of unsupported dwarf tags. Eg: dbx support dwarf 3,
   but misbehaving with new DWARF 5 tags DW_LANG_C_plus_plus_14 [3].

As discussed with the reviewers in patch [3], we are considering
introducing a new tuning debugger tuning option for dbx,
-debugger-tuning=dbx [4], so that we can change some option
default on AIX for dbx to accommodate its limitations, eg;
-gno-column-info.

Any thoughts about the direction here? Reviews and feedback to [3][4] are
also appreciated.

[1]: https://lists.llvm.org/pipermail/llvm-dev/2019-February/130175.html
[2]: https://reviews.llvm.org/rGafa76fe67a42f6d40d83a4f7d0cb03373045f3f4
[3]: https://reviews.llvm.org/D99250