[llvm-dev] [PROPOSAL] Add Bazel Build Configuration to the LLVM Monorepo

John Paul Adrian Glaubitz via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Mar 24 00:39:46 PDT 2021

On 2/9/21 10:00 PM, Geoffrey Martin-Noble wrote:
> To expand a bit on Eric's response, the intent here is *not* to make Bazel
> a supported build system for LLVM or to replace CMake (which I believe the
> proposal makes clear), but rather to enable Bazel usage and shared
> configuration for people and projects that already use it. I do not expect
> that Bazel will cover all the use cases currently supported by LLVM CMake
> any time soon (ever?).I don't work on Bazel itself, so have no insight on
> the support plan for those architectures. Only developers interested in
> working with Bazel would be expected to use or update the configuration, so
> lack of support for specific architectures should not affect things, I
> think.

Looking at the amount of copy-and-paste code in Bazel [1], I'm not really convinced
that the code quality of Bazel speaks for itself.

Also, my personal experience with sending patches to Google projects so far has been
rather underwhelming. Usually, Google projects did not accept any patches for use
cases that are not of Google's own interested such as better support for big-endian
targets [2]. On the other hand, Google engineers expect upstream projects to add
support for technology Google uses internally.

I wish it would be more balanced and Google would allow patches in Chromium or V8
to support more architectures if - on the other hand - they ask other upstream
projects to carry support for their usecases.

Adrian

--
 .''`.  John Paul Adrian Glaubitz
: :' :  Debian Developer - glaubitz at debian.org