[llvm-dev] [GSoC] Community feedback and interest in Distributed lit testing project from 2021 idea list.

soham dixit via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Mar 23 20:01:35 PDT 2021

Hello community/Mentor,

Myself, Soham Dixit an undergraduate student from India. I was
checking the list of 2021 GSoC projects in LLVM compiler
infrastructure, and I found 'Distributed lit testing project'[1] as an
interesting one.

So far I have built llvm with Clang as a subproject enabled, I have
tried the `make check*` commands and have tried to see how the
llvm-lit based tests run.

AFAIU, there is a bottleneck(mostly time required and the number of
times we run these regression based tests) for running llvm-lit based
tests even on pretty good and powerful architectures which I believe
should be the llvm buildbots(probably).
Looking into how the building llvm compiler issue was solved mentions
that the build process was made distributed which might take advantage
of other nodes in the cluster.
IIUC, the aim of this project is to follow the similar approach that
was followed for solving the build problem and this time we are trying
to parallelize the llvm-lit based tests inside the llvm-lit framework
to get distributed on nodes in the cluster and collect pass and fail
results from each node and consolidate the same and represent to the
developer.

I am writing this email to get more detailed information about this
project and see what is the real use case where this project can be
practically used?

What is it that I should start looking into to make a good and
detailed proposal ?
I have had no experience in compilers but I am interested in getting
involved.

Thanks and regards,
Soham

[1]https://llvm.org/OpenProjects.html#llvm_distributing_lit