[llvm-dev] How to produce the same result of clang++ -Oz through opt -Oz

Mircea Trofin via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Mar 22 18:17:44 PDT 2021

Hello Jiayu,

could you detail your scenario a bit more - do you need to run opt + llc,
or would this be acceptable:

(assuming non thinlto build)

1) from your original clang call, e.g. clang <blah>, do clang -v <blah>.
copy the command line (starts with -cc1)
2) clang -cc1 <....> -fembed-bitcode=all

ok, now you can take the resulting .o, let's call it 'file.o', and do this:

3)
llvm-objcopy --dump-section=.llvmbc=/some/path/file.bc  file.o /dev/null
llvm-objcopy --dump-section=.llvmcmd=/some/path/file.cmd   file.o /dev/null

You get 2 files, /some/path/file.bc and /some/path/file.cmd. The .cmd file
contains the command line flags separated by '\0'. The .bc file is the IR.

If you re-issue now clang with those options (in the .cmd file*) over the
.bc, you should get a bit-identical file.o

Note that clang will skip over compiler directives like "-I" or -D or -U,
or paths to pch files or modules (since it now picks up the compilation
from IR). You can basically take the IR file and recompile it with the .cmd
command line arguments on a different machine, away from the build
directory structure where it came from.

* you need to split the .cmd file 'line' by \0, of course.