[llvm-dev] [GSoC] Integrate Enzyme into Rust to provide high-performance differentiation in Rust

Chuyang Chen via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Sat Mar 20 10:25:45 PDT 2021

Hello everyone,

I'm Chuyang Chen, an MSc student majoring in CS at NJU. I'm interested in
the GSoC project "Integrate Enzyme into Rust to provide high-performance
differentiation in Rust". It just fits my interest. My research area is
software engineering, and the problem I'm working on is relevant to
compilation and programming language. I also have a plan to turn to the
field of programming language when I apply for a Ph.D. program in the
future. These days, I find auto-differentiation, as a sub-field of
programming language, interesting, then I see this project. Moreover, I have
started programming in Rust since last year. Now I'm using it to write a
personal project, a JVM in Rust, through which I got good acquaintance with
Rust. A small Rust crate I have contributed to is here
<https://github.com/nomanous/rust-adorn> , for reference. In terms of C++, I
have 5 years of experience with it, since almost all of my course projects
and programming homework, after I entered the university, require to be
written in C++. I also have had 2 patches submitted to LLVM project, one
<https://reviews.llvm.org/D87962>  committed and one
<https://reviews.llvm.org/D90448>  under review. In summary, I think this
project intriguing and myself qualified for it.

I have been working on this project these days and have contacted the mentor
(Mr. William Moses). Now I'm getting myself familiar with the Enzyme
project. I send this email to say hello to the community and also to check
whether anyone else is working on the same project.

Thank you for reading this!

Chuyang Chen

MSc Student

At Department of Computer Science and Technology, Nanjing University