[llvm-dev] [RFC] The `implements` attribute, or how to swap functions statically but late

Johannes Doerfert via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Mar 19 17:10:36 PDT 2021

The basic idea is to provide a way to replace a callee statically
*inside* the LLVM-core
pipeline [0]. The initial use case was the missing translation of
certain (math) intrinsics
by the NVPTX backend, however, we believe there are other use cases that
would benefit from
a generic model, one is described below as well as the benefits over
alternatives.

---

Use cases

1a) NVPTX + fast-math + math functions

The original use case was discussed here [1] and the problem is shown
here [2].
In a nutshell, `llvm.sin` (and friends) are not supported by the backend
and it
will yell at you. This is unfortunate but could arguably be resolved in
a lot of
different ways (below). Note that there is not necessarily a 1:1 mapping
for all
intrinsics and we might need to write a wrapper which would probably be in
clang/lib/Header with other CUDA wrapper code.

Considered solutions we did not pick:
a) Teach the backend explicitly about the mapping `llvm.sin` -> `__nv_sin`.
b) Teach clang not to emit the intrinsics in the first place.
c) Use an existing overload "hack", e.g., __asm__.

Let's discuss those first.
a) Works, is very limited to this use case, the mapping is not with the
declarations
    and definitions which makes the maintenance less appealing.
b) Seems easy enough, we loose all the benefits of intrinsics though,
more on that
    later.
c) Right now, IR isn't happy with defining intrinsics so there is little
we could do
    better than b) here I think, short of allowing intrinsic definitions
(which is an
    option).

1b) User can overwrite the implementation of any intrinsic, regardless
if the backend
     supports it or not. They still get the intrinsic benefits during
the compilation.
     This is not limited to NVPTX and math intrinsics but also opens the
door for cross
     platform tooling, e.g., Tool XYZ will emit intrinsics our backed
doesn't support
     but we can map them to implementations for our architecture.

1c) You can prototype/test different lowerings for functions and
intrinsics easily by
     linking in a bitcode file (which can be compiled form C*).

2) Function specifications and implementations

I would like to embed a function specification with the implementation, e.g.
```
void vec_add(double *A, double *B, int N) {
   for (int i = 0; i < N; ++i)
     A[i] += B[i];
}
__attribute__((implements("vec_add")))
void vec_add_impl(double *A, double *B, int N) {
   #pragma omp parallel for
for (int i = 0; i < N; ++i)
     A[i] += B[i];
}
```

I think that would open up cool possibilities:
A) Replace only the first N specifications with implementations, allows
to improve debugging.
B) Use the specification for the first part of the optimization pipeline
so you
    can derive facts the implementation "hides". E.g., `llvm.sin` calls
could be
    annotated as `readnone` while the `__nv_sin` call contains inline
assembly and
    acts as a optimization barrier. Or, in the above example, it is
obvious from the
    "specification" that `B` is readonly but the implementation could
arbitrarily hide this,
    e.g., the implementation might be a runtime call.
C) Program verification, test synthesis, etc. would be possible on a new
level in a defined way.
    By keeping implementation and specification close together and
written in the same
    language we might get somewhere in this area.

---

Thoughts

I initially thought about the reverse attribute, so `vec_add` in the
above example would have
`__attribute__((specifies(vec_add_impl))` for the same reasons (A-C).
The problem is that I'm
not sure how to attach anything to an intrinsic. Some `__asm__` trickery
might help but it's
unclear that this is better than the `implements` version. Maybe we want
both for convenience
with the `implements` version being able to handle intrinsics.

~ Johannes

[0] https://reviews.llvm.org/D98516
[1]https://lists.llvm.org/pipermail/llvm-dev/2021-March/149117.html
[2] https://godbolt.org/z/PxsEWs