[llvm-dev] [RFC] BOLT: A Framework for Binary Analysis, Transformation, and Optimization

Andrey Bokhanko via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Mar 18 01:48:30 PDT 2021

On Wed, Mar 17, 2021 at 10:54 PM Mehdi AMINI <joker.eph at gmail.com> wrote:
> Actually if I remember correctly flang went through multiple months of preparatory upgrade that were asked for by some people in the community, and they did so out-of-tree before getting ready to land in a single merge.

I have to admit that contrary to OpenMP, that I followed very closely,
I only superficially followed flang development. Thus, I stand
corrected by Mehdi and Eric here.

> We just have to make the expectation very clear and having a "moving goalposts" situation and it should work fine. Any particular reason that would put us in a "ad infinitum" situation?

I said "we may end up" -- or we may not. :-) No particular reason
apart of history of software engineering. As you said, clear
expectations from the very start are a key ingredient to avoid this
happening.

IMHO, it's infinitely better to start project development in a wide
and mature open source community ASAP -- at expense of some potential
refactoring work -- rather than delay until code is "good enough".
This says a man who spent most of his life working on proprietary
projects and used to argue with Chandler that "proprietary development
model is less expensive and leads to higher quality" (now I know
better). Just one man's opinion. It's fine to disagree.

Yours,
Andrey