[llvm-dev] Should the compiler-rt builtins be configured with CMAKE_TRY_COMPILE_TARGET_TYPE?

Petr Hosek via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Mar 15 15:21:26 PDT 2021

I've been thinking about this a bit more and doing some experiments. I'm
no longer sure if setting CMAKE_TRY_COMPILE_TARGET_TYPE to STATIC_LIBRARY
is the best solution. While it could simplify checks in projects that only
ever produce static libraries like builtins or crt, using it more broadly
might be a problem because it breaks checks like check_function_exists and
check_library_exists.

The idea I'm considering would be to instead roll out our own checks. The
way checks like check_function_exists and check_library_exists work is that
CMake generates a little snippet which it then tries to compile. For
example when checking if dlopen in libdl exists, CMake would generate:

char dlopen(void);
int main(int ac, char* av[]) {
  dlopen();
}

It'd then try to compile this file with -ldl and see if the command
succeeds or fails. The problem with this snippet is that it implicitly uses
libc and other libraries like crt or builtins, which in the case of the
runtimes build, are libraries we're going to build introducing a cycle. The
alternative I came up with would be to generate a custom snippet that looks
like this:

char dlopen(void);
void _start() {
  dlopen();
}

When invoking the compiler, we would additionally pass -nostdlib. That way,
we would still check if libdl is available without any implicit
dependencies. The only downside to this approach I can see is that we would
need to maintain our own set of checks, but since we could rely on CMake's
try_compile to do most of the heavy lifting, I don't think it'd be too much
of a maintenance overhead.

If we switched to these custom checks across all runtimes, I hope that we
could eliminate the need to bootstrap builtins before we build the rest of
runtimes, and instead we could use a single CMake build for all runtimes
and rely on regular dependencies for things like builtins.

Does this make sense? Have I missed anything?