[llvm-dev] NVPTX codegen for llvm.sin (and friends)

Artem Belevich via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Mar 11 17:59:57 PST 2021

On Thu, Mar 11, 2021 at 4:10 PM Johannes Doerfert <
johannesdoerfert at gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
> > johannesdoerfert at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> I certainly agree we should try to avoid a hard-coded mapping
> >> in C++.
> >>
> >> I could see something like:
> >>
> >> ```
> >> __attribute__((implementation("llvm.cos"))
> >> double __nv_cos(...) { ... }
> >>
> >> ```
> >>
> >> and a pass that transforms all calls to a function with an
> >> "implementation" to calls to that implementation. Maybe
> >> later we attach a score/priority ;)
> >>

> > I'm not sure how that would work.
> > Where would you place that `__attribute__((implementation))` ? We do not
> > have the definitions for `__nv_*` as they come from NVIDIA-provided
> > bitcode. We could add the attribute to the declaration in
> > `__clang_cuda_libdevice_declares.h`.
> > How does LLVM handle the differences in function attributes between
> > function declaration and definition? Will there be trouble when we link
> in
> > the actual __nv_cos from the libdevice that would not have that
> attribute?
> >
> > Another potential gotcha is that for the functions that can't be directly
> > mapped 1:1 to `__nv_*` counterparts, we'd still need to provide the
> > implementation ourselves. We will not know whether the implementation
> will
> > be used until after the substitution pass, so we'll need to make sure
> it's
> > not DCE'd until then. It appears to be the same issue (though on a
> smaller
> > scale) as with linking in libdevice directly.
> >
> > Let's take a step back and figure out what are the issues we want to
> solve.
> >
> > The top-level goal is to provide implementation for LLVM intrinsics. For
> > now let's stick with libm-related ones.
> > What we have is the libdevice bitcode which uses different function names
> > and provides a subset of the functionality we need.
> > What we miss is
> >    - something to connect LLVM's libcalls to the GPU-side implementation,
> >    - additional code to provide implementations for the functions that
> are
> > missing or different in libdevice.
> >
> > Considering that we want this to work in LLVM, the additional code would
> > have to be a bitcode and it would have to exist in addition to libdevice.
> > Our options for the mapping between LLVM intrinsics and the
> implementation
> > are
> > * intrinsic -> __nv_* equivalent mapping pass
> >     This would still need additional bitcode for the missing/different
> > functions.
> > * lower libcalls to the standard libm APIs, implement libm -> __nv_*
> > mapping in our own bitcode.
> >
> > Considering that additional bitcode is needed in both cases, I believe
> that
> > the second approach makes more sense.
>
> I really hope to avoid any additional bitcode, there are too many
> drawbacks and basically no benefits, IMHO.

Could you elaborate on the drawbacks?

The fact is that we already depend on the external bitcode (libdevice in
this case), though right now we're trying to keep that to clang only. The
current approach is not sound in principle and is rather brittle in
practice. Nor clang is the only source of the IR for the LLVM to
compile, so it leaves LLVM-only users without a good solution. There are
already a handful of JIT compilers that each do their own gluing of
libdevice into the IR they want to compile for NVPTX. I think we do have a
very good reason to deal with that in LLVM itself.

While I agree that additional bitcode is a hassle, I think it would be a
net positive change for LLVM usability for NVPTX users.
The external bitcode would not be required for those who do not need
libdevice now, so the change should not be disruptive.

> > LLVM does not need to know or care about what's provided by libdevice,
> and
> > we'd have more flexibility, compared to what we could do in the mapping
> > pass. It also makes it easy to substitute a different implementation, if
> we
> > have or need one.
>
> I agree that LLVM (core) should not know about __nv_*, that's why I
> suggested
> the `__attribute__((implements("...")))` approach. My preferred solution
> is still to annotate our declarations of __nv_* and point to the
> llvm.intrinsics (name) from there. If we have a missing mapping, we
> point to an
> intrinsic from a definition that lives in the Clang headers next to the
> __nv_*  declarations.

We may have slightly different end goals in mind.
I was thinking of making the solution work for LLVM. I.e. users would be
free to use llvm.sin with NVPTX back-end with a few documented steps needed
to make it work (basically "pass additional
-link-libm-bitcode=path/to/bitcode_libm.bc").

Your scenario above suggests that the goal is to allow clang to generate
both llvm intrinsics and the glue which would then be used by LLVM to make
it work for clang, but not in general. It's an improvement compared to what
we have now, but I still think we should try a more general solution.

> This does not yet work because -mlink-builtin-bitcode (which I assume
> triggers the llvm-link logic) will drop the attributes of a declaration
> if a definition is found. I think that should not be the case anyway
> such that the union of attributes is set.
>
> The benefit I see for the above is that the mapping is tied to the
> declarations and doesn't live in a tablegen file far away. It works well
> even if we can't map 1:1, and we could even restrict the "used" attribute
> to anything that has an "implements" attribute.

I do not think we need tablegen for anything here. I was thinking of just
compiling a real math library (or a wrapper on top of libdevice) from C/C++
sources.

Our approaches are not mutually exclusive. If there's a strong opposition
to providing a bitcode libm for NVPTX, implementing it somewhere closer to
clang would still be an improvement, even if it's not as general as I'd
like. It should still be possible to allow LLVM to lower libcalls in NVPTX
to standard libm API, enabled with a flag, and just let the end users who
are interested (e.g. JITs) to provide their own implementation.

--Artem

--
--Artem Belevich