[llvm-dev] NVPTX codegen for llvm.sin (and friends)

Johannes Doerfert via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Mar 10 13:55:51 PST 2021

On 3/10/21 3:25 PM, Artem Belevich wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 10, 2021 at 12:57 PM Johannes Doerfert <
> johannesdoerfert at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Right. We could keep the definition of __nv_cos and friends
>> around. Right now, -ffast-math might just crash on the user,
>> which is arguably a bad thing. I can also see us benefiting
>> in various other ways from llvm.cos uses instead of __nv_cos
>> (assuming precision is according to the user requirements but
>> that is always a condition).
>>
>> It could be as simple as introducing __nv_cos into
>> "llvm.used" and a backend matching/rewrite pass.
>>
>> If the backend knew the libdevice location it could even pick
>> the definitions from there. Maybe we could link libdevice late
>> instead of eager?
>>
> It's possible, but it would require plumbing in CUDA SDK awareness into
> LLVM. While clang driver can deal with that, LLVM currently can't. The
> bitcode library path would have to be provided by the user.

The PTX backend could arguably be CUDA SDK aware, IMHO, it would
even be fine if the middle-end does the remapping to get inlining
and folding benefits also after __nv_cos is used. See below.

> The standard library as bitcode raises some questions.

Which standard library? CUDAs libdevice is a bitcode library, right?

> * When do we want to do the linking? If we do it at the beginning, then the
> question is how to make sure unused functions are not eliminated before we
> may need them, as we don't know apriori what's going to be needed. We also
> do want the unused functions to be gone after we're done. Linking it in
> early would allow optimizing the code better at the expense of having to
> optimize a lot of code we'll throw away. Linking it in late has less
> overhead, but leaves the linked in bitcode unoptimized, though it's
> probably in the ballpark of what would happen with a real library call.
> I.e. no inlining, etc.
>
> * It incorporates linking into LLVM, which is not LLVM's job. Arguably, the
> line should be drawn at the lowering to libcalls as it's done for other
> back-ends. However, we're also constrained to by the need to have the
> linking done before we generate PTX which prevents doing it after LLVM is
> done generating an object file.

I'm confused. Clang links in libdevice.bc early. If we make sure
`__nv_cos` is not deleted early, we can at any point "lower" `llvm.cos`
to `__nv_cos` which is available. After the lowering we can remove
the artificial uses of `__nv_XXX` functions that we used to keep the
definitions around in order to remove them from the final result.
We get the benefit of having `llvm.cos` for some of the pipeline,
we know it does not have all the bad effects while `__nv_cos` is defined
with inline assembly. We also get the benefit of inlining `__nv_cos`
and folding the implementation based on the arguments. Finally,
this should work with the existing pipeline, the linking is the same
as before, all we do is to keep the definitions alive longer and
lower `llvm.cos` to `__nv_cos` in a middle end pass.

This might be similar to the PTX solution you describe below but I feel
we get the inline benefit from this without actually changing the pipeline
at all.

~ Johannes