[llvm-dev] [GSoC 2021] Utilize LoopNest Pass

Whitney T Tsang via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Mar 10 06:32:17 PST 2021

Sure, in this project, we plan to utilize the LoopNest pass in some
existing passes.
As an example, here is one of the patches to transform the loop interchange
pass: https://reviews.llvm.org/D97847.
On top of doing the code changes, we want to understand what are the pros
and cons of the change.
We can do that by collecting some data, e.g. compile time.

There are two loop unroller, LoopFullUnrollPass and LoopUnrollPass.
The LoopFullUnrollPass is not a good candidate for the change, as it is a
loop pass and it is being used as a loop pass.
It is written to be traverse from inner to outer loop, with other loop
transformations in between in the loop pipeline.
The LoopUnrollPass could be a candidate, but the LoopUnrollAndJamPass can
be an easier to understand candidate,
as unroll and jam transformation naturally operate on more than one loop
(LoopNest).

Regards,
Whitney Tsang