[llvm-dev] Is it legal to pass a half by value on x86_64?

Craig Topper via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Mar 5 13:44:18 PST 2021

I think because the argument got passed in memory and was immediately
stored to a local variable it triggered some copy elision code. And
something went wrong. In the basic blocks where the %c2_in2_ alloca is
loaded from, in the assembly I see 16-bit loads that are loading the same
location %xmm0 is being loaded from in the entry block. So those loads are
accessing the argument directly instead of a local copy. I guess something
about this copy elision lost the knowledge that it needed to be converted
or maybe it shouldn't be eligible for copy elision.

~Craig