[llvm-dev] Is it legal to pass a half by value on x86_64?

Wang, Pengfei via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Mar 5 04:30:09 PST 2021

I guess it's designed for language portability. You can use this type across different platforms. Nevertheless, I'm not a FE expert, so I cannot think out other intentions.
The _Float16 is a primitive type in the latest x86 ABI, but there's no X86 target that supports it yet. So you cannot use it on X86 by now. I think that's the difference from __fp16 and why should use it.
We also have some discussion here. https://reviews.llvm.org/D97318

Thanks
Pengfei