[llvm-dev] Extracting LocList address ranges from DWO .debug_info

Alexander Yermolovich via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Mar 3 13:01:27 PST 2021

Hello David

Thank you for the example. I was able to reproduce your results.
llvm-symbolizer 0x400611 -obj=a.out
f2()
/home/ayermolo/local/tasks/T83058825/test.cpp:7:3
main
/home/ayermolo/local/tasks/T83058825/test.cpp:13:3

I was wrong lumping .dwo files, split mode, into this. I primarily been looking at it in -gsplit-dwarf=single mode where .dwo sections are left in the .o files.
In single mode in .o file there is the Skelton CU that gets relocated by linker, and the dwo sections. In -gsplit-dwarf=split mode where debug information is in the .dwo files there is only .dwo sections. I am probably repeating what you already know, but in case others read this who are not familiar. πŸ™‚

Reason your example works is because -gsplit-dwarf defaults to -gsplit-dwarf=split. When code gets to DWARFUnit::getAddrOffsetSectionItem just like before we are in DWO Context/DWO CU so IsDWO is set. It tries to parse NormalUnits
auto R = Context.info_section_units();

But since we are dealing with .dwo files there is nothing there. Just dwo sections.
It then goes for the, what looks like sanity check, hasSingleElement. Which returns false because NormalUnits is empty.
At which point it goes to retrieve address in the DWO CU. Same path as with my exploratory changes.

Building in single mode, keeping .o around, should reproduce:
clang++ -g -gsplit-dwarf=single test.cpp -O3 -c
ld.lld -out a.out test.o

Sorry for the confusion.

Alex