[llvm-dev] How to use thread local storage with ORC JIT?

Gaier, Bjoern via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Mar 2 23:24:30 PST 2021

Hey Lang,

I can’t remember anymore but I think I haven’t tried with -femulated-tls.
I also forwarded the question to the Cling people because I think they got it running – but also haven’t heard back from there. I decided against emulated-tls and tried resolving the Windows symbols myself by adding another IR file to it which was compiled as the following:
extern "C"
{
    void Sleep(unsigned long dwMilliseconds);

    static constexpr int EpochStart = std::numeric_limits<int>::min();

    unsigned int _tls_index         = 0;
    int          _Init_global_epoch = EpochStart;
    int          _Init_thread_epoch = EpochStart;

    void _Init_thread_header(volatile int* ptss)
    {
        while(true)
        {
            /* Try to acquire the first initialization lock */
            int oldTss = _InterlockedCompareExchange(reinterpret_cast<volatile long*>(ptss), -1, 0);
            if(oldTss == -1)
            {
                /* Busy, wait for the other thread to do the initialization */
                Sleep(0);
                continue;
            }

            /* Either we acquired the lock and the caller will do the initializaion
            or the initialization is complete and the caller will skip it */
            break;
        }
    }

    void _Init_thread_footer(int *ptss)
    {
        *ptss = _InterlockedIncrement(reinterpret_cast<long*>(&_Init_global_epoch));
    }

    void _Init_thread_abort(volatile int* ptss)
    {
        /* Abort the initialization */
        _InterlockedAnd(reinterpret_cast<volatile long*>(ptss), 0);
    }
}

This was good enough for me until I hear a better way to do this – cause I got a feel that this is not really working? However my static variables were only initialized once no matter how many threads I threw at.
I haven’t mentioned that solution yet cause I’m not much confident about it’s reliability. Maybe I should show this to the cling people too…

Kind greetings
Björn