[llvm-dev] [RFC] Upstreaming a proper SPIR-V backend

Renato Golin via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Mar 2 12:22:10 PST 2021

On Tue, 2 Mar 2021 at 19:02, Lei Zhang <antiagainst at google.com> wrote:

> With that said, I understand that software development has many reality
> concerns (like existing codebase, familiarity with different components,
> etc.) and we have many different use cases, which may mean that different
> paths make sense. So please don't take this as a negative feedback in
> general. It's just that to me it's unclear how we can unify here right now.
> Even when the time arrives for unification, I'd believe going through MLIR
> is better to have general SPIR-V support. :)

Thank you for such a detailed response!

Honestly, I don't know much about SPIRV, so my comments were without
context. If there are reasons to keep the back-end on both sides, I'm not
against it.

I just proposed unifying things in case they're duplicated. If we can make
that case, then it should definitely be part of the plan.

cheers,
--renato