[llvm-dev] [RFC] Upstreaming a proper SPIR-V backend

Renato Golin via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Mar 2 02:11:31 PST 2021

On Tue, 2 Mar 2021 at 09:36, Trifunovic, Konrad via llvm-dev <
llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> We would like to propose this RFC for upstreaming a proper SPIR-V backend
> to LLVM:

Hi,

Perhaps a parallel question: how does that integrate with MLIR's SPIRV
back-end?

If this proposal goes through and we have a production-quality SPIRV
back-end in LLVM, do we remove MLIR's own version and lower to LLVM, then
to SPIRV? Or do we still need the MLIR version?

In a perfect world, translating to LLVM IR then to SPIRV shouldn't make a
difference, but there could be some impedance mismatch between MLIR->LLVM
lowering that isn't compatible with SPIRV?

But as a final goal, if SPIRV becomes an official LLVM target, it would be
better if we could iron out the impedance problems and keep only one SPIRV
backend.

cheers,
--renato