[llvm-dev] Applying for GSoC 2021(Fuzzing LLVM-IR Passes)

张驰斌 via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Mar 1 04:06:48 PST 2021

Hi LLVM developers,
      I am a junior student majoring in Computer Science at ShanghaiTech University. I’ve been browsing through https://llvm.org/OpenProjects.html#gsoc21 and found out that LLVM is participating in Google Summer of Code 2021. I wanted to be sure to inquire about it and get in touch soon.
      One project idea really caught my eyes, ‘Fuzzing LLVM-IR Passes,’ striking chord with my experience. Currently, I am working with Professor Hao Chen (Contact author of the fuzzer Angora) and his fellow graduate students researching fuzzing.  My main contribution lies in the experimental evaluation part. I’ve written many scripts to automate the benchmarking of different fuzzers, e.g., building libraries with fuzzer instrumentation (afl-clang-fast…), running fuzzers, and triaging and analyzing fuzz-results with afl-cov. Our most recent paper is under review at USENIX Security 2021. I’ve also written a dozen LLVM passes following USCD’s advanced compiler course (Open-sourced code and notes at https://github.com/chibinz/CSE231) as practice and contributed to the basic block stubbing pass for coverage feedback in the prior research project. If applicable, I see this as a golden opportunity to exercise what I’ve learned about LLVM and fuzzing in real-world application and at LLVM scale. This also a chance for me, as an LLVM user, to contribute back to LLVM, following the FOSS spirit.
      I wonder if this project is already occupied or still available? Are there any ‘good first issue’ that I can start working on or code of interest worth reading? I am aware the project description directs me to reach out to mentor Johannes Doerfert on IRC, but somehow trying to connect to the LLVM IRC channel using different clients always complains that the server refused the connection…(Sorry, but I’m not familiar with IRC, this is the first time trying…) Are there any other way to get in touch with the mentor? I feel really excited and hope to hear from you soon.

Sincerely,
Chibin Zhang
2021.3.1