[llvm-dev] "[NFC]" Abuse

Mehdi AMINI via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Jun 23 14:57:54 PDT 2021

On Wed, Jun 23, 2021 at 10:34 AM Luke Drummond via llvm-dev <
llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:

> [...]
> > this to not change behavior, but it passes some threshold of triviality
> > that makes it not 'guaranteed'" and things below that threshold is
> > sufficiently valuable to encode in the commit message (& haggle over
> which
> > things are over or under that threshold).
>
> I'd say that David is already describing a tag in popular use: "NFCI" is
> what's
> conventionally used outside LLVM (and even within LLVM by others) to tag
> changes
> that match exactly that description.
>
> David also sort of foreshadowed this opinion in another message:
>
> > We could introduce a separate term but I think most NFC patches would use
> > that term instead, so it probably wouldn't amount to much real change -
> > we'd end up using that new term ubiquitously instead.
>
> Fangrui Song mentioned the following in a separate message which - to me -
> largely aligns with David's intent:
> > Sometimes people use the term "NFCI" (no functional change intended).
> > I thought "intended" means that: the author is not 100% sure that no
> > functional change is caused (for some refactoring it is sometimes
> > difficult to guarantee without good test coverage)
> > but seems that many use "NFCI" to refer to obviously NFC things.
>
> I think that in the face of an extant "NFCI" tag, these 3 opinions actually
> *are* compatible with each other, but whether those that advocate for "NFC"
> where others have described "NFCI" are aware of the existence of this tag
> is
> unclear to me.
>
> Another point was raised about downstreams and pre-commit testing by
> Christian
> Kühnel. Christian suggested integration of upstream LLVM and a number of
> popular
> downstreams' CI systems:
> >  We could be running some *automatic integration testing with downstream
> >  users*: Have some *public* CI machine build the heads of LLVM and a
> >  downstream project (e.g. Rust, Tensorflow) and see if the builds still
> pass.
>
> I think this is noble but misses the essence of my original point: It's
> not that
> LLVM changes *per-se* that's troublesome as a downstream. It's that LLVM
> changes but the committer that made the change has said that it's not
> changed.
>
> LLVM *should* continue to change, but I still think the NFC tag is
> incorrect
> with respect to API changes, and any gentle push to make life easier to
> downstreams would be something I'm sure would be appreciated. Applying
> "[NFC]"
> to silent breakages goes somewhat beyond "we provide no API stability"
> (which
> is clear and well understood by the community) to "this is active
> misdirection
> that makes your life harder as a maintainer".

I suspect there is an irreconcilable underlying motivation here in how
we're looking at it, in terms of who is the intended target of this
signaling. I feel like you're looking at getting a signal through NFC for a
downstream project looking at finding issues during their integration,
while I'm not using NFC for this purpose. Instead I'm using NFC as a
signaling tool internal to the project development itself.
 it is a signal for reviewers of my revision (no test change here, and also
"Please reviewer: validate my intent here, am I really not changing the
behavior of the compiler?") and vice-versa when I am the reviewer. It is
also a potential signal for narrowing down a blamelist sent by broken bot
post-commit (I've also used it to pre-filter a list of commits when
tracking performance regressions in the past). It isn't bulletproof: a `git
bisect` can lead to a NFC commit, but that's because we're human and we
make mistakes.

> In summary, I think there's still consensus to be made, and if us loud
> voices
> have equal standing, there's little majority, so I don't think I can
> formalize
> this for the documentation yet.

There are two things here, "should we change what we do to be more strict",
on which I don't see a consensus here, and "should we document better how
this tag has been widely used till now", which is a different thing :)

--
Mehdi