[llvm-dev] [RFC] Introducing a byte type to LLVM

Ralf Jung via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Jun 23 05:52:03 PDT 2021

Hi Nicolai,

>     I've read this paper now, and it makes good sense to me as something to
>     adopt in LLVM.

:)

>     I do have one question about a point that doesn't seem sufficiently
>     justified, though. In the semantics of the paper,
>     store-pointer-then-load-as-integer results in poison. This seems to be the
>     root cause for being forced to introduce a "byte" type for correctness, but
>     it is only really justified by an optimization that eliminates a store that
>     writes back a previously loaded value. That optimization doesn't seem all
>     that important (but feel free to point out why it is...), while introducing
>     a "byte" type is a massive change. On the face of it, that doesn't seem like
>     a good trade-off to me.
>
>     Has the alternative of allowing type punning through memory at the cost of
>     removing that optimization been studied sufficiently elsewhere?
>

> The transformation is analogous to removing memcpy-like code with the same dst
> and src.
> Such code might not be written by humans frequently, but I believe C++'s
> template instantiation or optimizations like inlining can expose such a case.

To add to what Juneyoung said:
I don't think that experiment has been made. From what I can see, the
alternative you propose leads to an internally consistent model -- one "just"
has to account for the fact that a "load i64" might do some transformation on
the data to actually obtain an integer result (namely, it might to ptrtoint).

However, I am a bit worried about what happens when we eventually add proper
support for 'restrict'/'noalias': the only models I know for that one actually
make 'ptrtoint' have side-effects on the memory state (similar to setting the
'exposed' flag in the C provenance TS). I can't (currently) demonstrate that
this is *required*, but I also don't know an alternative. So if this remains the
case, and if we say "load i64" performs a ptrtoint when needed, then that would
mean we could not do dead load elimination any more as that would remove the
ptrtoint side-effect.

There also is the somewhat conceptual concern that LLVM ought to have a type
that can loslessly hold all kinds of data that exist in LLVM. Currently, that is
not the case -- 'iN' cannot hold data with provenance.

Kind regards,
Ralf

--
Website: https://people.mpi-sws.org/~jung/