[llvm-dev] Provenance is not part of the existing C standard.

Aaron Ballman via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Jun 17 04:07:05 PDT 2021

On Thu, Jun 17, 2021 at 4:55 AM Victor Yodaiken via llvm-dev
<llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:

> My intent is not to debate N2676 here, but to suggest it is not a done deal. Provenance is not in the standard now and not necessarily in the standard in the future and its not too late for people to weigh in.

N2676 is the base draft for an unpublished Technical Specification, so
hopefully it's well understood that this is not in the standard and
that the whole point is for implementers and users to weigh in on the
choices in the document and provide feedback based on implementation
and usage experience *before* the standard is changed. However, the TS
does suggest a particular path forward and that's based on years of
discussion in WG14 on the various potential options, so there's a
clear signal as to which path WG14 *thinks* it will be taking based on
the feedback we've received thus far. I'm really glad to see the LLVM
community evaluating the pros and cons of that option for our
particular implementation as that will provide extremely valuable
concrete feedback to WG14.

~Aaron