[llvm-dev] Review wanted - contribution for legacy pass manager (machine pass extensions)

Raoul Gough via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Jun 17 00:52:44 PDT 2021

Thanks for looking at this. Just so you're aware I see that @ychen has
just posted some further comments on the review which I'll be addressing
shortly.

The TargetPassConfig::insertPass (after) function would work in theory
except that the TargetPassConfig objects only have transitory lifetimes
within, e.g., LLVMTargetMachine::addPassesToEmitFile. I couldn't find
any existing way to access the TargetPassConfig objects from out-of-tree
code in order to manipulate them. The solution with
TargetPassConfig::addExtensionis to register callback(s) in a global
which get passed the TargetPassConfig object during execution of
TargetPassConfig::addMachinePasses.