[llvm-dev] Provenance is not part of the existing C standard.

Victor Yodaiken via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Jun 16 17:32:25 PDT 2021

RE:
In https://lists.llvm.org/pipermail/llvm-dev/2021-June/151199.html

 C is moving towards a provenance model; you can find the details in
this committee TR that Joshua Cranmer linked:

 Provenance is not part of the existing C standard. This proposal is
by no means a settled issue. It would be interesting to hear what
Clang/llvm developers think. Speaking for myself, I think the proposal
has interesting ideas, but papers over a lot of difficult issues,
lacks motivation, and potentially could have very negative effects on
C semantics in its current state. I'd prefer to fix the C standard so
that it is possible to write operating systems, malloc, and other
important code in standard C before we consider adding such a far
reaching change.

vy