[llvm-dev] Metadata in LLVM back-end

Matt Morehouse via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Jun 15 16:32:46 PDT 2021

Did anyone send an RFC for this?

First-class metadata would be exceptionally useful for sanitizers and other
dynamic tools.  For
example, we want to construct PC-keyed metadata tables in the binary
(without affecting the
generated code), to inform program behavior at runtime or to allow offline
analysis.  A
prerequisite is to actually propagate the metadata we need from the Clang
frontend or LLVM
middle-end down to the assembly printer.

Our team has brainstormed many use cases:

- *GWP-TSan* <https://youtu.be/2KvaKEyMVEU>:  storing PCs of accesses
lowered from C++ atomics, to filter them out from race
  detection.
  *  List<atomic access PC>

- *Stack trace compression*:  storing a conservative call graph
<https://lists.llvm.org/pipermail/llvm-dev/2021-June/151044.html>, for use
in decompressing stack
  traces offline.
  * Map[callsite PC] -> List<callee PC>

- *no_sanitize attributes*:  storing a map of functions that have the
no_sanitize("...")
  attribute to the associated sanitizer, for filtering out from GWP-*San.
Ideally we do not
  introduce new no_sanitize string literals, but simply rely on existing
ones (e.g. a
  no_sanitize("thread") works for both TSan but also GWP-TSan).
  *  Map[Func] -> SanitizerKind

- *Fuzzing aid/CFG reconstruction*:  marking coverage PCs as function
entry/exit or # of
  outgoing edges from BB (allows to find gaps in coverage frontier).

- *Type-aware malloc and heap profiling*:  enable the allocator to get the
type for a given new
  call, to optimize for expected usage of the allocation.
  *  Map[new callsite PC] -> object type

- *Other*:  potential use cases for future bug-finding tools (GWP-assert,
GWP-MSan,
  GWP-DFSan, GWP-UBSan).

First-class metadata would open the door to some really cool things.

Thanks,
Matt Morehouse