[llvm-dev] [cfe-dev] Mailing List Status Update

Matt P. Dziubinski via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Jun 15 11:15:07 PDT 2021

On 6/15/2021 19:41, David Blaikie wrote:
>     When
>     you open a page on https://llvm.discourse.group
>     <https://llvm.discourse.group> it doesn't load (or
>     show) the entire thread on one page by default but instead
>     progressively
>     loads (and unloads) partial content as you scroll along.
>
> Ah, yeah - which is why it hijacks the search shortcut to do a web form
> search rather than the browser builtin. Seems to work OK - I wouldn't
> count this as a major usability problem, at least for me.

Fair enough, there's always an element of subjectivity to UX, so YMMV.
At the same time one issue with the aforementioned hijacking is that is
not complete, either--e.g., it doesn't support built-in search features
like "Find Next" or "Find Previous". For users used to keyboard
navigation this is a usability problem (especially in
development-oriented discussions, when searching for occurrences of
identifiers in, say, LLVM IR does come in handy).

>     There's no such restriction in the Mailman web UI since it displays the
>     entire thread on one page by default, even for longer threads, e.g.,
>     https://mail.python.org/archives/list/python-dev@python.org/thread/JM6SQ2YNMDAKXYD5O54QWMVR2X7QOXVL/
>     <https://mail.python.org/archives/list/python-dev@python.org/thread/JM6SQ2YNMDAKXYD5O54QWMVR2X7QOXVL/>
>     built-in search to work without issues.
>
> Great to see too - especially to see that it addresses an issue that's
> always pained me about our current mailman setup, where threads get
> split by week or month - so there's no nice way to link to a whole
> thread. I'll be happy to see that addressed in either/any way.

Agreed, I also see this as an improvement.

Best,
Matt