[llvm-dev] LLVM_DYLIB and CLANG_DYLIB with MSVC

Joachim Meyer via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Jun 14 10:33:52 PDT 2021

Hi all,

I'm new to this mailing list so, a short intro from my side :)
======
I am a computer engineering student from Heidelberg University, currently
working on my master's thesis where I extend the hipSYCL Clang plugin to
enable optimized support for SYCL's nd_range parallel_for on CPUs.
In hipSYCL we happen to be able to support Windows with our Clang plugin and
would obviously love to keep it that way to bring my current work to Windows
at some point as well.

The pain point starts when using the new PM with the currently only
optimization pass in the plugin, as the static Key members of Analyses are not
correctly ex-/imported on Windows. As mentioned by Martin this could be worked
around by moving them into function local static variables, but this would be
just another workaround and would not solve the general issue with symbol
exports on Windows, which also includes some symbols being filtered out, which
makes working with the system pretty flakey.
(e.g. llvm::DominatorTreeBase<class llvm::BasicBlock, 1> seems to be exported
correctly but llvm::DominatorTreeBase<class llvm::BasicBlock, 0> is not for no
obvious reason.. ref: https://github.com/fodinabor/hipSYCL/runs/2736333414?
check_suite_focus=true#step:10:3489)

As far as I understand, marking required symbols as exported, can help in this
situation, especially as proper support for using LLVM as shared library in
the Clang driver and so on could drastically reduce the symbol pressure in
each of the binaries.
======

I am thus coming from a slightly different angle to the problem, but see the
same ideal solution as Reid and Fang-rui, therefore I'd like to ask *if there
are objections against starting to explicitly mark symbols as being exported*.

The proposal from last weeks' Windows/COFF call, was to start by adding a
header defining `LLVM_EXPORT` macros for explicit marking of exported symbols,
which can be used to mark data symbols as `__declspec(dllimport)` as well.
With this in the codebase, the symbols required when using shared libraries,
can be marked successively to enable more API boundaries to rely on the
explicit exports.

As I see it, this is also in-line with the comment by Tom Stellard regarding
the LLD-as-a-library design, where they wish for a single shared library that
only exports symbols if explicitly marked.

Another suggestion in the call was to provide a single shared library for each
of the projects (LLVM, Clang, ..), instead of many small shared libraries as
it is the case at the moment when using shared lib builds. The obligatory
exception to the rule might be the Support lib, which could be a useful
candidate to keep separate.

To conclude, I'd love feedback on whether this is generally something the
wider community sees as something worth to pursue and I am open to more
suggestions on the best way forward.

-- Joachim Meyer